- @msmary_12 nailed by Kate ;) 2 years ago
- @msmary_12 awww baby baby 2 years ago
- #wootwoot #bfftime 2 years ago
- 71 Reasons Why We’re All Still F*cking Single elitedaily.com/dating/76-reas… via @EliteDaily 2 years ago
- Fun day at the zoo. Feeding giraffes and sting rays. instagr.am/p/QQNXOYLjFJ/ 4 years ago
- RT @ESPNNFL: "Eli Manning is the best quarterback in the NFL right now." -- Skip Bayless on First Take today 4 years ago
- i really want to date a guy...without a vocal chord 5 years ago
a minute of manners and musings
mostly civilized thoughts
November 8, 2010Posted by on
Some mostly civilized thoughts from an almost civilized mind…contrived during my quiet weekend. Here they are in no particular order of relevance or significance:
1) I am not as young as I think I am. I like to go to bed early. I use a LOT of wrinkle cream. Ergo, I’m getting old.
2) A couple of you asked about the Potato Frappe recipe I mentioned in a blog post last week. To be specific, it was the post about how I screwed up Halloween for our children, held a raucous dinner for my non-raucous parents-in-law and got ratted out by my husband for using boxed potatoes. Click here to enjoy the moments for yourself.
So, here’s the way you can go from boxed to bodacious: Cream Cheese…The Answer To So Many Of The World’s Problems. It is my expert opinion that Hungry Jack Mashed Potatoes are the best. Under no circumstances should you buy the off-brands that use the words ‘instant potatoes’. That will make you feel cheap and insecure. Don’t ever set yourself up to feel cheap and insecure. People will notice and think you have something to hide. Be bold with your potatoes.
Follow the directions on the box. At the end, stir in a half block of cream cheese and some garlic salt to taste. Put it in a pretty (it’s all in how you present it) oven-safe bowl and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Pop it in the oven (350 degrees) until the cheese is melted. The final thing is this: protect yourself. Don’t let what happened to me happen to you. You should a)use these potatoes on the sly so no one in your big-mouthed family (I’m sorry, maybe that’s just my family) will call you out in front of your guests. or b) fess up only to them, but tell your big-mouthed family to keep it on the down low. Remember: the key to a successful dinner party is to avoid the avoidable.
3) I text a lot which may seem contradictory to #1, but it’s true. I need to make sure I’m not texting in place of having a real conversation with people.
4) I had a manicure on Saturday to get ready for…ahem…the book signing tonight. It had been years, literally, since I’d had a manicure so while I had heard of a paraffin wax treatment, I had never had one. Did you know you put your hands into a pot of hot wax, pull them out, put them in plastic bags – individually – , and then put them in these pockets that are heated – i-n-d-i-v-i-d-u-a-l-l-y ??? I can’t explain it, but I thought I was going to pass out. My hands felt claustrophobic and the panic was trying to take over the rest of my body. It was soooooo hot and my hands looked like something that didn’t pass muster at Madame Tussaud’s. And, of course, my nose started itching. And, I couldn’t scratch it. It was too much. I have friends who get manicures every couple of weeks. Surely they don’t put themselves through that every 14 days.
That’s it. Take what you can. Use what you want. Don’t say I didn’t warn you about the potatoes.