- @msmary_12 nailed by Kate ;) 2 years ago
- @msmary_12 awww baby baby 2 years ago
- #wootwoot #bfftime 2 years ago
- 71 Reasons Why We’re All Still F*cking Single elitedaily.com/dating/76-reas… via @EliteDaily 2 years ago
- Fun day at the zoo. Feeding giraffes and sting rays. instagr.am/p/QQNXOYLjFJ/ 4 years ago
- RT @ESPNNFL: "Eli Manning is the best quarterback in the NFL right now." -- Skip Bayless on First Take today 4 years ago
- i really want to date a guy...without a vocal chord 5 years ago
a minute of manners and musings
Another surprise, another lesson
February 21, 2011Posted by on
We had the nicest surprise on Saturday afternoon. Friends we had not seen in years pulled up in the driveway! The Hubs and I were thrilled to see their smiling faces! I could not believe my eyes! And, in hindsight, I could not believe I hugged and talked and laughed like my hair wasn’t wet and getting frizzier by the minute.
Unlike June Cleaver, my house and I are not often company-ready. Company-willing? Yes! I love drop-in company and spur of the moment get-togethers. But my lipstick is usually in the last place I look and my hairdo is usually leftover from yesterday unless I have a reason to fire up the flatiron. Our friends were quick to apologize for not calling first and I was quick to apologize for the Flashdance hair, so we spent a fair amount of time going around in that circle.
We had such a nice visit that I decided right then and there that we should all back off. Yep, that’s right. Back off the rigidity of looking for the perfect moment to make that phone call to the friend of a friend who lost a loved one. Back off looking for that perfect recipe for that delicious pie your mom once made to take to your neighbor. Back off the hesitation to tell your boss congratulations (yes, your boss!) on a job well done because you don’t think you will say it well.
You may have heard me say this but having nice manners isn’t about following a bunch of rules. However, you should know the rules well enough so that you can show some grace and charm.
Just pull up in someone’s driveway and say Hello. You won’t believe what fun it will be.