- @msmary_12 nailed by Kate ;) 3 years ago
- @msmary_12 awww baby baby 3 years ago
- #wootwoot #bfftime 3 years ago
- 71 Reasons Why We’re All Still F*cking Single elitedaily.com/dating/76-reas… via @EliteDaily 3 years ago
- Fun day at the zoo. Feeding giraffes and sting rays. instagr.am/p/QQNXOYLjFJ/ 5 years ago
- RT @ESPNNFL: "Eli Manning is the best quarterback in the NFL right now." -- Skip Bayless on First Take today 5 years ago
- i really want to date a guy...without a vocal chord 6 years ago
a minute of manners and musings
February 23, 2011Posted by on
This morning as I am standing in front of the bathroom mirror, makeup drawer open, hair wet, about to start the great transformation, Ben walked in. With that oh-my-gosh-what-is-going-on-here look, he said, “Mom. What are you doing? We’ve got to go!” How can it be 7:30 already????….my mind and my pulse went into overdrive.
My reaction wasn’t graceful. It was almost as if I had lost my footing. I started picking up things and putting them down in a panic. After I moved around the hairspray, the toothpaste, my bedroom shoes and pushed Ben back with my forearm as if I were protecting him from impact, I grabbed my watch.
7:09. And, he was gone.
I should have known better than to listen to him. This talk coming from the fella who can’t keep up with time for anything? Who can’t keep up with his pencil at school, who can’t keep up with his pencil at home and has been known to lose his own bookbag in his own room? Still, when someone pairs the facial expression with the words that you are way off base about something, it’s human nature to react.
I knew it couldn’t have been 7:30 already. Deep down, I knew. But, the morning rush is no time for practical jokes. (I think he understands this now.) And, I was just as much at fault for succumbing. (Not really – he’s completely to blame for the bruise on my shin since I would not have used it to shut the drawer had he not started with me this morning.)
So, today’s mantra: Don’t panic. Especially when people around you are tempting you to do so. Only you know when it’s time for you to panic, so don’t let someone else fling their stricken state on you. Keep your head about you and know that when others are acting with wild abandon (now there’s an image…wet hair, bathrobe, no makeup and wild abandon), you will end up leading the pack with your calm and rational demeanor.
As the posters say, Keep Calm and Carry On.